12/04/2006

Looking for short ideas

Now that everyone is looking to go short, here are some ideas for the bold shorts. Some of these will make good shorts. Some will give 10%, some may be headed in to single digits. Many of these may not be shortable. Some might be setting a trap for short and might make a god move on long side. But if you chose the one with clear catalyst, there might be good profit potential in some. As to me I am mostly in cash and looking for long ideas, waiting for the market to set itself up.

If you are looking for more short ideas, see the list I posted in comment section here, it has over 100 ideas.

ALOG,Analogic Corp
AQNT,Aquantive Inc
BIDU,Baidu.com Inc
BSC,Bear Stearns Companies
CME,Chicago Mercantile Exchange
EFUT,E-Future Info Tech Inc Ord
FOXH,Foxhollow Technologies Inc
GOOG,Google
GS,Goldman Sachs Group Inc
ILMN,Illumina Inc
MA,MasterCard Inc
MWRK,Mothers Work Inc
NMX,Nymex Holdings Inc
NYX,NYSE Group Inc
OIH,HOLDRS Oil Service ETF
POT,Potash Cp Saskatchewan
PTRY,Pantry Inc
RIMM,Research In Motion Ltd
RRGB,Red Robin Gourmet
SHLD,Sears Holding Corp
TRLG,True Religion Apparel Inc
WFMI,Whole Foods Market Inc

5 comments:

walter said...

what scan you use for these?

Pradeep Bonde said...

This is a list based on 21 days of scans. I have removed the low priced ones out of that.
It is based on combintion of scans looking for volume and price expansion. In addition to that there is in some case a clear catalyst like earning deceleration or negative earning surprise or high earnings, which may not be sustainable.

walter said...

sounds good - thanks

Pradeep Bonde said...

Send me your email, I will send you the exact scans used in TC2007

walter said...

Reading your blog and the resulting conversation is definitely mind expanding regarding not being interested in only shorting...

I still like reading charts but of course realize that my ability to "scan"
for stocks sucks - I read other people's blogs to get ideas instead of generating my own, but trading is not full time profession for me.

That being said, the way I see it, stock scans and chart reading (on all time scales) contributes to STOCK SELECTION / GENERATING CANDIDATES FOR BUYING/SHORTING. There is the other end of things: TRADE EXECUTION.
Personally I'd like to see some posting on that issue on your blog (if it fits with your own agenda).